Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help up to a core of the very promising scientists at a time that is pivotal their professions. The fellowships may also be meant to secure a way to obtain highly qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal federal federal government and organizations.
Will you be entitled to a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, at the time of the deadline date associated with 12 months where you use, you have to:
- be considered A canadian resident or a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to put up a doctorate in another of the areas of research that NSERC supports.
- It is possible to use just once towards the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit just one application per 12 months to a single granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health swinging heaven profile Research CIHR or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC). You mustn’t have previously gotten a postdoctoral honor (including a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You really must have finished all needs of one’s degree that is doctoral no than 2 yrs ahead of the deadline date of the season where you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on the transcript, but alternatively the date on which all of the needs of the level had been met, like the effective defence and distribution of this corrected copy of one’s thesis. The completion date of your most recent doctoral degree will be used to determine your eligibility for applicants with more than one doctoral degree.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have acquired at least six months of full-time relevant employment in industry or government (experience in an institution or its affiliated hospitals, research institutions and other laboratories will not be considered.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your job notably interrupted because of infection or family that is health-related, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- For those who have completed a non-research based medical residency system when you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your career dramatically interrupted because of parental, medical and/or family-related duties, NSERC will expand the eligibility period to three years.
- If, within 2 yrs before or following the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you then become the caregiver that is primary the delivery or use of a young child, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to six years.
- Then you may be asked by NSERC to provide additional information and/or supporting documentation if you are subject to an extended eligibility period. Any submission that is such NSERC is only going to be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility towards the system. If you want to notify the review committee of delays and/or circumstances which could have impacted your performance and/or efficiency, you might do this within the Special Circumstances area of the applying.
Where are you able to hold your fellowship?
It is possible to hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other research that is appropriate in Canada
- organizations and research institutions abroad
You can not hold a PDF in Canadian federal federal federal government laboratories or in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages you to definitely undertake research which involves collaboration with other organizations that are canadian. The type associated with proposed collaboration must be appropriate towards the host organization.
- You could hold a PDF abroad only when you have got gotten your doctorate from the Canadian institution.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining contact with various research surroundings. You’re not allowed to carry your fellowship during the exact same organization (or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations as well as other laboratories) for which you received your doctorate. But, you may request an exclusion which is considered by the choice committee. The demand should be predicated on medical reasons (as an example, proximity to needed health care facilities), household reasons (as an example, a partner’s profession) or clinical reasons (as an example, accessibility to specific equipment), which will make it exceptionally hard for you yourself to leave a specific organization. Even though your exclusion is given, you aren’t allowed to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You may be motivated to add a location that is alternate your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion isn’t authorized.
- You might maybe not support the PDF together with your PhD supervisor, regardless of if your supervisor changes research institutions.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may impact your residency status in Canada. You’ll need to contact the relevant Canadian authorities or a proper specialist for advice.
How will you use?
You’ll make an application for a PDF by completing and publishing Form 201, connecting supporting documents if required. Browse the guidelines on the best way to finish Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the job electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on 17 october. Incomplete applications should be refused.
Apart from individual email address, NSERC will likely not accept any modifications or updates to the application after it’s been submitted. Personal contact information may be updated by sending a contact to email@example.com.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application based on the selection requirements described when you look at the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs. Keep in mind that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing priority that is award meritorious applicants whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a female, if sufficient funds become available. The choice committees are organized based on the after discipline that is broad:
- Civil and engineering that is industrial
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Evolution and ecology
- Cellular and molecular biology
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic rule (see listing of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined from the application shall figure out the choice committee where the application will soon be examined. NSERC may designate the application form up to a committee that is different it determines that the niche matter is much more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee people to consistently guard from the probability of unconscious bias affecting the process that is decision-making whether these biases depend on a approach, fundamental versus used research, particular sub-disciplines, regions of research or approaches (including growing people), size or standing of an organization, age, gender and/or other individual facets of this applicant.
NSERC is functioning on the data that equity, variety and addition bolster the medical and engineering communities additionally the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should relate to concerns 5 to 7 within the Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, variety and addition in the job to learn more.
In planning their application, candidates should consult the choice requirements and indicators section and Appendix an associated with the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships products which offers useful information about exactly what committee people look out for in evaluating applications. Candidates must also read the guidelines for finishing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are selected and evaluated based on:
- Analysis potential(70 and ability%)
- Correspondence, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
January NSERC will notify all applicants of the results by the end of. NSERC will perhaps not provide outcomes by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (as well as other fundamental award information) of fellowship recipients on its site. To find out more, see the use of Ideas Act therefore the Privacy Act.
Conditions for the prize
Make reference to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and demands about keeping the prize, such as for example acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid leave that is parental holding the prize on a part-time foundation, etc.